Wednesday, August 5, 2009

1520 Brookside Park
Quesnel BC, V2J 5X5
(250) 992-7279
cathywalsh@shaw.ca


Greetings from Central British Columbia!

When I first heard about the Gibb family reunion I was delighted to have the opportunity to catch up with all the long-lost cousins. I had planned to fly to Ottawa after family visits in Vancouver and Victoria, spend a few days with brother Ian and his Mary, then drive to the party with them. I'm afraid it was not to be: I'm laid up with a bum back and trying very hard not to feel sorry for myself.

Here a bits and pieces of what's happening in my life.

Family
Jennifer (born 1973) is married and living in North Vancouver. She is teaching at Simon Fraser, working on her master's, and managing family life with 3 small boys, including a set of identical twins..
Mary (born 1976) lives a little closer, in 150 Mile House. She works for a local Aboriginal Band, making hi-tech maps related to land claim issues. She and her husband have have a rodeo star and a fairy princess for children.
I'm sure Dad will have all kinds of stories to tell you from first-hand experience, and from all the research he's done on the family. I visit him and Mom twice a year in Victoria.

Adventure
I've always wanted to see the world, so once I was on my own, I fell into the pattern of joining an adventure tour almost every summer. I've kayaked around coastal islands in BC, hiked up to Macchu Pichu, had a marriage proposal in the Blue Mosque, walked on the Great Wall, marveled at Victoria Falls, snorkeled with the penguins off the Galapagos ...what an exciting world it is, and I'm so lucky to have been able to see so much of it.
I broke my hip while hiking a few years ago (you know how they say to get lots of exercise so you won't get frail, fall and break something?) and had a partial replacement, which doesn't work as well as the original part. No more hiking or cross-country skiing, but I do an exercise class at the pool up the street 3-4 times a week to keep in shape.
Uusually “gardening” and “adventure” don't occur in the same sentence, but it if you could see the before and in-progress (a garden is never finished) pictures of my lot you'd understand why I think of those two words together. The process has given me hours of exercise and fun.

Professional life
I've taught in the classroom from grades 4 to 7, in French immersion and in the regular system in Quebec, Ontario and BC. Currently, I am working half-time as a teacher/librarian in an elementary school, a nice way to wind down a career.

Music
Music is big part of my life, and since moving to Quesnel I've been involved as accompanist for all kinds of church and community choirs, high school musicals, fund-raising concerts and the local music festival. I've participated in quite a few musical theatre productions which are a big thing out here. Have piano will travel.

Community involvement
The move out of Quebec was a long sad and somewhat typical story, (although we were prepared to live in French in a separate Quebec if it came to that), so when we landed in small-town BC, I was at loose ends. It was my dad who kept insisting that I bloom where I was planted...so over the years I've been involved in the Community Arts Council, the United Church, the concert society and Billy Barker Days, (“BC's #1 fun family festival”). In the process I've made new friends, acquired skills (never light a harp concert with all blue or red lights), and learned to love this community. I've been Citizen of the Year, and continue to participate in many activities, mostly through music.

I wish you all a wonderful time together!
Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment